Lebensraum

A social commentary.


Chrysanthemum Prisoner


The starchy examination period had taken a drawl on my reading life, having completed a startling zero books in the past few weeks of May. Hence, I dragged myself to Borders on Saturday to breathe new life into the stale and stagnant recent reading habits of mine.

Previous experiences at MPH (while waiting for late friends at Parkway) brought me to the immensely arousing Biographies section of which I never really paid attention to because of its mostly "hardcover only" direction of which, a poor student like me, was unable to afford. Nevertheless, the array of interesting characters didn't cease to tingle my whatever senses.

Princess Masako: Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne has been a shocking revelation and read for me for the past few days- the book I purchased at Borders on Saturday. $10 off the hardcover ($50 to $40) plus the fact that I still had unused Borders credit proofed a worthy reason to go out of the way for such an expensive publication.

It was certainly worth the green. Seriously. This book has led me glued to it for 3 days, and has brought the cold and rigid Japanese monarchy alive before my very eyes. This being my only source of interpretation towards the Imperial Family could have been an immensely bias sway, but I enjoyed and believed it anyway.

Princess Masako is a deranged, depressed, pathetic woman who is the victim of archaic traditions and practices which scientifically interpreting, does not aid her country. Severely bullied by the kunaicho, or the Imperial Household Agency, she is suffocated by layers of heavy blankets, each one the entrapment of lame responsibilities and burdens.

She is certainly at her wits end in all, if any, efforts in bringing reform to the ironclad monarchy and her princess fairy-tale ending would never be.

A shocking eye-opener.

1 Responses to “Chrysanthemum Prisoner”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    hey, can i borrow this book after u are done? =) i m sure you wont reject my request.  

Post a Comment



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger.