Lebensraum

A social commentary.


Thursday Spine

What I have read since 2 weeks ago...

Surprisingly, out of the three books I have been reading at the end of the previous square thursday's Thursday Spine, I was only able to complete one. Which is quite pathetic. However, I have read other books which are not in that list =)

The Blues of Resurrection
Resurrection Blues by Mike Tanner

(Link to Amazon.com page from illustration)

This book brings forth to non-musicians what the life of an American guitarist in a rock band is. As a Singaporean, I am blind towards how drugs and [premarital] sex are brought forth in American lifestyle. I, thus, through this book know a little bit more on how the situation of morality in America is. Not that everyone is behaving like this, I hope (and believe), but after reading this, I further understand why young American teenagers are subjected to these acts.

I have since, taken a liking to rock music after reading this book, strangely. Playing the few rock albums I have in my iPod again and again (including Simple Plan, SonicFlood, Coldplay, Avril etc.) Interestingly, while reading the book I was able to visualize the band playing and hear the music in my imagination, despite not knowing most of the songs mentioned.

The book focuses a lot on the emotions of a young musician faced by pressure from his family. Interesting to see from a point of view that I have never seen before- after all, I have never really been in to making and playing music but rather more of listening to it.

A good read to understand American culture, and tastefully different from my usual reads.

Rating of 6.5 our of 10.


Thy story that never ends
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende, translated by Ralph Manheim

(Link to Amazon.com page from illustration)

I have been affected when I read Narnia after reading this book. The two worlds (Fantastica here) have somehow have major differences. Narnia is very proper and ruled by good kings over the watchful eye of Aslan whereas Fantastica is ruled by no one but the Childlike Empress who does not use her powers at all. Thus, there are more wrong commited in Fantastica.

I would prefer Narnia to Fantastica. Narnia has a major magical world element to it. More innocence, more sense of right and wrong (probably because of religious background of both authors). Fantastica, on the other hand, is more of a do-whatever-you-want approach. Bastian was able to wish anything he wanted with the AURYN and everything he wanted thus came through. On other fantasy-genre fiction, The Lord of the Rings is more violent- thus is a different genre from these books. Harry Potter on the other hand has a real connection which any wizard can use to the real modern world. Whereas Narnia and Fantastica are completely different from other fantasies mentioned.

My favourite part of this book would be the tagline of Ende which is
This is another story and shall be told another time
. Another time never seems to come though, because it never came. This book has also been made into a movie in 1984. It has been featured on Channel 5 several times although I have not watched it because I have not read that book then. For some weird reason I believe that you have to read the book before watching the movie in the past. Now I would very much like to watch it =)

Rating of 7.5 out of 10

All right, think I might have said enough for today. Both books have been borrowed from the National Library Board (Singapore). Not sure about Singaporean book retailers, but should you wish to purchase them online, you can check out Amazon.com. It only accepts American credit cards thus you can purchase it via vPOST of the Singapore Post.

I am currently reading:
February 2006 Issue of The Readers' Digest
The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
Memoirs of Lee Kuan Yew by MM Lee Kuan Yew

Reads these two weeks but not featured are:
March 2006 Issue of The Readers' Digest

And have also recently purchased, and should be proceeding to read:
Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years by Sue Townsend

0 Responses to “Thursday Spine”

Post a Comment



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger.