Lebensraum

A social commentary.


The Co-Ed Issue

This should be my 109th entry and I'm very proud of that. I have managed to sustain using BigFatSmiles for 6 months unlike any of my other blogs which maximum usage was only 2 months. I think theres a very hihg chance that I will continue blogging with BFS =)) unless someone hacks my blog *choi!*

So yarh, based on my title, you should know what I will be typing about today. Although it is quite late to type about it, I still decided to as this is quite a big impact on my vie victorienne. And if I don't type it now, this issue (a really juicy one) will rot and have those gross maggots crawiling all over it. So yarh, heres my reflection and thoughts on the Co-Ed issue. This write-up might not be the best, there are better ones out there like Quaternote's and the guy who posted on the compositions section of our school website. But this one is different and it is from a BigFatSmiler's point of view. If you have decided that you're bored of reading these crappy reflections, please scroll down, there's more below.

The Co-Ed Issue
From a BigFatSmiler's Point of View

129 years is a very long time. Even a men in our current era has not broken the record for living 129 years. So you could say that 129 years would also be a very long time for a school to exist. Many schools could not exist for so long, but Victoria has. Why? Actually the reason is very obvious- because of the strong bonds all Victorians have. The strong school spirit that not every school has. The strong believes and traditions.

So should traditions be changed? In Singapore, many many old traditions has been changed, like how we Chinese Singaporeans don't include coconuts with the Chinese character xi on it in our dowry when your son is going to get married. Or when Chinese Singaporeans do not indulge in buying gold like our ancestors used to for the believe that gold is food. Of course, these traditions would not be considered a bad tradition, but to me rather traditions to add hassles in our daily lives or traditions that encourage the extreme love for material things.

Tradditions are something we are used to. When a tradition is changed, we are not used to them and are lost, confused or sometimes even angry. So will introducing females into a school that has sticked to boys-only for 129 years trigger anything? Apparently it has- even before the tradition itself was changed.

To me, to be an all-boys school is a prestige. Think about it, for goverment schools alone, our school (Victoria) is the only all-boys school. As for indepent boys schools, there are also not many- in this group including Hwa Chong, St. Patrick's etc. So the prestige of being a boys' school alone is quite high. So, is this tradition a good one? In my opinion, it is. The tradition of a boys' school has definitely broad forth many advantages. Like having more toilets for more convenience, more open concepts because it is a boys' school and many others.

And if girls were to join Victoria, how were the males react? At this stage, everything isn't finalised and some Victorians still have the spirit of "Aiyah, it won't happen one larh". But it it were really to happen, male-Victorians will be a sexist group. The group where there is prejudice over the other group. And the female-Victorians will feel sad and unwelcomed, and in the end probably quitting the school? Maybe?

But why is the management doing this? Why? Creating calamity and little riots, zhe he bi ne (Enlgish translation: Why must this happen) ? The reason: to improve the academic quality of the school because it has been slipping for the last few years until last. But the fact is that even if the older generations had not worked hard and slacked, teachers and principals had encouraged them to further improve, resulting in a better 'O' Level results last year! And judging from various Secondary 4 blogs I have read, they are certainly working hard! So hopefully our this year's batch results will withstand the test.

Yes, this is my stand- and the majority of our school's stand. We will certainly work hard for the future of our school, but the current issue is: Are we going Co-Ed?

***

Those who read, I hope you will not count this as a disappointment and failure =))

I was confirmed of my role in the Teachers' Day concert today. I will be working with John (Hi if you're reading this =) ) as an emcee. I've never emcee-ed before *hides face in a paiseh way*, hope this will be a sucess. Will it be? Someone whom I forgot who mocked me at being an emcee earlier. This shows that I hold these comments unsignificantly and even forgot who was the one who said the unsignificant comments. So let me take a quote:
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
Actually I never really knew who said that (anyone knows?), although it applies very well in this context, it actually doesn't in most reality-bites cases. Why on earth would so much unforgiveness be on this earth now if words will never hurt me- or you that is. Forget about this issue, lets carry on.

Had a nice conversation on 76 with CSM Daniel today. He talked on the insecurities of the Boys' Brigade which I never knew ever existed. I guess reality bites. I have been a Secondary One innocentie since I enter BB in February when I realised many things. Bryan has been drifting from BB since don't know when probably this year. And worst- Christopher is quitting BB to join Red Cross which will probably make him gay (figure of speech made in anger). I think there will be more of these situations in the coming years.

So yes, I am very pleased to announce that I have a 2nc CCA! Which is the VSMedia and although it is not a core, I can take it as a core because Mark is doing so. However, Ms Hafizah has left for NIE and Mr Ong is leaving to become a professional photographer next month. Sigh. We are abandoned!!! Daniel says Mr Hazrin would probably be taking over, KF, verify for me can?

Ahhh, such a long entry. Hope I didn't create eye sores for you =P Please don't point out my spelling mistakes, I really can't bother about spelling and grammar after such a long post =P

Jotlims
Jesus Rocks!

1 Responses to “The Co-Ed Issue”

  1. # Blogger 小猫王

    OMG!! Kifo is quitting?? r u sure? Oh no....what future lies ahead of the AEP...Only with Liong around....  

Post a Comment



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger.