Lebensraum

A social commentary.


Happy Deepavalli!

SPKR is in India right now, being my closest Indian friend he supposed to be inviting me to his house during this wonderful Festival of Lights. Oswin, on the other hand, is travelling the opposite direction to the country of many islands- Indonesia. I have never really touched the mainland of that country before- I only went to Ria Islands wherever that is.

So here am I missing the wonderful festival of lights at SPKR's house sitting on the computer with nothing to type. After listening to the SG Show, I have thought of setting up a podcast. But I think about all the obstacles- nothing to talk about, unability to keep up with the thingy, lousy mic, noobness in using the Podcasting software that edits sound blah blah blah that I downloaded, my podcast being lousy. The obstacles are endless, I doubt I'll ever podcast, so I guess you guys will just have to read (READ!) the Big Fat Smiler.

I am super convinced that I am living in a multi-religious, multi-racial and multi-language country today. I was at a Chinese provision shop in Woodlands today and all the shopkeepers were Chinese. But you know what was the language on the radio? You know? (I'm starting to talk like Kwan from The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan) It was Malay! Not Jiu San San, UFM, Jiu Wu Ba whatever but Malay!

And the other day, I was on the train and was totally amazed at what I saw. I Muslim family that had 6 children! And the mother was like covered totally except her hands, feet and eyes. I mean, don't they feel hot? And how do they eat? AND, the rest of the family was like also in their traditional Malay costumes. I don't even wear my whatever longpao since Primary 6.

I love this cutural phenomenon in Singapore. I am so loving it. Happy Deepavalli everyone!

0 Responses to “Happy Deepavalli!”

Post a Comment



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger.