Lebensraum

A social commentary.


Watched a movie today!

It has been 27 days since I just last watched a movie- which was the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Today I watched something very un-child and un-fantasy and un-innocent- Memoirs of a Geisha. So here is the Big Fat Smiler's review.

Perhaps it is the cultural indifference or the cultural ignorance or something. But how can Hatsumomo (played by internationally renowned actress, Gong Li) be a celebrated geisha? I don't know, but based on what I have saw in this movie- geishas are elegant, skilled and professional individuals that no one despises (according to what I saw in the film hor). But Hatsumomo had her fringe messily drooped down her face almost all the time, and she looked sleazy and cheap. Isn't she more of a prostitute than a geisha? My gawd...

So anyway, I don't know why Straits Times had this segment of the article (on Memoirs of a Geisha) commenting on the English spoken by the 3 chinese actresses in the show. But I find all the Englishes really cool- with this Asian accent and stuff. I mean this is how you distinguish from the actual Japanese (you don't think they were speaking English in those times don't you?) and the English spoken by the Americans. And besides, the Asian English gave a special touch to the movie.

But Memoirs of a Geisha truely gives a good deal for money. The Director of Photography did a wonderful job- the scenes were truely beautiful. From the daily sunrise/sunsets reciding with the authentic Japanese tower, the beautiful gardens help by the General, the garden that Mr Chairman and Sayuri met in in the last scene and the scene whereby Sayuri was running through the tablet formed tunnel from the temple. Throughout the movie I was thinking: I wish I could be there so I could shoot everything down.

There was History today. I think History is a total hypocrital subject. I wrote tonnes of sentences that I didn't even mean. I mean in the Journal there was a question asking "How is this lesson relevant to you," and it totally isn't even relavant to me! Why look back and know which sultan goverened Singapore when Singapore was under the Jorhor-Riau sultanate yakitty yak when someone said to look into the future and not back to the past? So yarh, became a hypocrite despite the fact that Jesus dislikes it and wrote "This lesson has A LOT of relevance to me..."

Yups, tomorrow theres the drill nightmare again and I wonder when it will end. Someone save me from this terror please.

Edge tomorrow! Net today! Church on Sunday!

0 Responses to “Watched a movie today!”

Post a Comment



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger.