Lebensraum

A social commentary.


Flashbacks to the past

It has been a long year since I have reunited with my paternal family for a dinner or something. I tend to be a quiet sort on my paternal side, which is quite amazing sometimes, probably because of the lack of contact and frequency of these gatherings. Still, I can find the family togetherness and family warmth every year when I visit the uncle/aunty's house (or mine) for the traditional, authentic reunion dinner. And the routine would be quite the same, though not blase because of the unfrequent rituals.

This year's chuxi or eve dinner was held had cousin Janice's house. It was pretty fun- watched the entire Lord Of The Rings episode 2 which was super long becuase their DVD had the deleted scenes as well so it was probably bout 4 hours. Me, a non-avid fan of LOTR didn't sit through it of course. I helped out with some domestic stuff, flipped through the pages of Falling Leaves- permission-ungrantedly taken from a bookshelf, twiddled with my passe phone, talked, ate the peach cheesecake that was on the table. In other words I didn't watch the entire movie.

Then we proceeded to watch Shrek 2. In catonese. My family has gone weirdly cantonese (although it is the fact that we are a catonese family). Ever since my grandma passed away, the lack of practice has led my brilliant catonese conversation skills to dwindle. To this date I can only speak a limited number of phrases and having to ask Eric to repeat himself everytime we converse in Cantonese because of his pronto hongkonger mouth. Esther also said dai ka seg instead of the traditionally and authentically produced Everybody eat at family dinners. (It is chinese custom to call your elders to eat before starting on your meal. As practiced, the younger ones will call every elder one by one but due to instant gratification, one by one has metamorphosised to everybody eat.) And after speaking that Cantonese phrase she remarked, "see my cantonese so good already!"

We played Monopoly after finishing Shrek2 with all the additional videos packed in the DVD which included "Far Far Away Idol" with all the characters competing with the animated Simon in the clip together with the ability to vote for your own Idol (although your vote determines everything... although not quite... hahaha). Monopoly was too diversed- we started off with 7 players yada yada yada.

And then I start to flashback to the ages whereby I was 5 and 6. I used to stay there for the entire day until my dad came to pick me because there was no one to take care of me after my grandma's departation. Thus I had really memorable times with my cousins and the Bukit Batok area despite resenting the West Side of Singapore.

I remember going to the Kidnergarden there, in fact I still remember some of the names of the kids I kinergarden-ed with. Wonder where they are, how they are doing now.

I remember taking the Soya Bean desert and mixing it with the drink. I remember lots of stuff. And it's a lot of deja vu. Also because the area around Janice's house conincidences to be one of the routes during the March Camp expedition (read it in March 2005 archives).

So yarh, brings me to the end of this entry. Sorry for any gramatical errors or spelling errors. All errors are UNintentional and are all caused by the spirit of Bochup.

And yay! I finished the Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan today!

0 Responses to “Flashbacks to the past”

Post a Comment



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger.